Thomas Laporte Aust established Aust Legal in 2010, after moving on from one of Canada’s most prominent national law firms, McCarthy Tétrault.
Mr. Aust represents leading corporations in a wide range of mergers and acquisitions (private and public), corporate finance and other commercial law matters.
He also represents key executives in employment law matters and is a co-author of Le contrat d’emploi, a book published in October 2013 by Éditions Yvon Blais Thomson Reuters. The book attempts to bridge the gap between corporate law and employment law and deals, among other subjects, on the obligations of good faith, incentive compensation plans, as well as restrictive provisions.
Mr. Aust is a member of the Barreau du Québec, an associate of the American Bar Association (ABA) and a member of the Mount Royal Club..
Université Laval, LL.B., 2004
Queen’s University, B.A. (Hons.), 2001
- Acting for Canadian, as well as foreign-owned businesses, with respect to the acquisition of assets in Canada and shares of Canadian corporations;
- Implementing tax-driven corporate reorganizations for privately-held companies in Canada and the U.S.;
- Drafting and negotiating shareholder agreements;
- Advising on business succession planning and short and long term exit strategies;
- Representing a privately held company with respect to its sale to a TSX listed company;
- Drafting of incentive compensation plans for key employees, including stock option plans and earn-outs;
- Advising on the use of restrictive covenants as regards to competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality;
- Negotiating of services and licensing agreements; and
- Resolving shareholder disputes and drafting of out-of-court settlements.