Mr. Johnston’s practice primarily focuses on corporate and commercial law, and in particular mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, private equity and venture capital, and corporate governance. He also advises on employment law matters and licensing arrangements.
Before joining Aust Legal, Mr. Johnston articled at a national Canadian law firm where he worked on cross-border transactions and arbitration files.
In his spare time, he enjoys skiing and racket sports.
Osgoode Hall Law School, Certificate in Mining Law, 2019
London School of Economics, LL.M., 2010
Dalhousie University, J.D., 2009
Université Laval, LL.B., 2008
Queen’s University, B.A. (Hons.), 2004
- Acting for Canadian, as well as foreign-owned businesses, with respect to the acquisition of assets in Canada and shares of Canadian corporations;
- Drafting and negotiating shareholder agreements;
- Negotiating services and licensing agreements.
- Drafting incentive compensation plans for key employees, including stock option plans and earn-outs;
- Advising on the use of restrictive covenants as regards to competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality;
- Advising on shareholder disputes.